The Official Voltron Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Voltron - Lion Force  Hop To Forums  Toys, Memorabilia and other Voltron stuff...    Voltron Toy Guide: Basic Models and Types (Authentic, etc) NEW KNOCKOFFS ADDED!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voltron Toy Guide: Basic Models and Types (Authentic, etc) NEW KNOCKOFFS ADDED!!
 Login/Join

Picture of Muratus
posted Hide Post
I think you've been bitten by the Voltron Collector bug. lol.

I was a little over a year ago. I was simply looking for some parts to fix my favorite old Voltron toy, but then I started studying about all the variations. I was hooked pretty quickly to say the lest.

I've discovered close to 20 different variations of the Deluxe style GoLion /Voltron / Lionbot /etc. Now my goal is to own one of each! The wife is really happy about that(sarcasm inserted here)!

There is also 4 different versions of the newer Toynami design. So far I've managed to get the rarest of those 4, just need to get the other 3 now. lol.

These forums contain a ton of pictures and information about many of the different versions. I've read through them over and over again.

Anyway it's nice to see someone trying to document it all. Great work. I've debated trying it, but it's a very huge undertaking.

Here's a pic of where my collection is at after my first year of my mania.

Posts: 49 | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
It's a huge undertaking.. but do you think i'm doing a good job for such a big job? Big Grin

Be Honest!

Posts: 140 | Registered: 15 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Muratus
posted Hide Post
So far so good. You just scratching the surface so far. Check out http://robotjapan.proboards.co...&thread=15652&page=1 for a visual overload! Then read through some of their older posts also. A great deal of info there also.

Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the share. My heart is still pounding incredibly hard.. those collections are absolutely insane. I think my wife would leave if I even suggested buying 2 more.. let alone 50 more. I hope those collectors enjoy living single!

-Rezo

jaunty scrumper
Picture of GrantB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muratus:
There is also 4 different versions of the newer Toynami design. So far I've managed to get the rarest of those 4, just need to get the other 3 now. lol.

Really? What's the fourth?

1: 20th Anniversary die-cast 'Masterpiece' limited edition bookstyle set

2: 25th Anniversary plastic, metallic paint job

3: 25th Anniversary plastic, non-metallic paint

4: ?

Posts: 2031 | Location: Glenview/Chicago IL USA | Registered: 22 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Muratus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrantB:
quote:
Originally posted by Muratus:

Really? What's the fourth?

1: 20th Anniversary die-cast 'Masterpiece' limited edition bookstyle set

2: 25th Anniversary plastic, metallic paint job

3: 25th Anniversary plastic, non-metallic paint

4: ?

Number 4 is mine as you see in the pic ( Top row on the right ), the Rebook version. It's pretty much exactly the same as the Non-Metallic Paint version, but the major difference is it has chrome legs like the 20th Anniversary die-cast has. That is all the lions legs are all chrome where the 2 other plastic version's have gray plastic like the black lions mid section.

Rebook did a Voltron line of shoes. 5 Different sets of shoes, each came with a lion. If you purchased all 5 sets you could build Voltron from the lions. Mine is actually a Rare store display that Rebook gave to some of the stores to show the completed Voltron. It came in a very basic blister pack with no marketing print on it. I have no clue as to how many of these were released to the stores, but I've only ever heard of one other then mine for sale on eBay.

Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
Well, I can see that my plan is working. Once you set a "standard" for the obvious questions, people show up with incredible information. I am just imagining the people that visit this forum's responses to this. Go ahead and do a "draw up" of the Reebok one, you worked hard to obtain it.. be the first to show the future viewers of this thread!

-Rezo

jaunty scrumper
Picture of GrantB
posted Hide Post
You are aware that Trendmasters also did a die-cast lion set, right? In Muratus' picture, I believe it may be the top row third one. (I suspect the top-row second may be as well, if that is an owner-applied custom sticker meant to make it look like Lotor's imposter Voltron.)

I believe that's the original box in the background of Muratus' picture.

It's similar to the original Matchbox one, with slight differences:
* black face
* fins on red/green lion backs
* no screw hole in the front when you lift up blue lion's silver head-top
* red missle-things in yellow lion ears are missing
* came with silver sword/shield/other weapons (I think I've seen pics of this box with gold ones as well, but not 100% sure)
* there are no copyright stickers
* paint shades aren't exactly the same

I purchased this set in high school (maybe '96?) and still have it. The differences always bugged me, because it didn't match the one I had when I was 6.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Glenview/Chicago IL USA | Registered: 22 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Muratus
posted Hide Post
lol, Good eye GrantB. Both the middle ones on the back row, are the 97 Trendmasters, but actually 2 different sets. Not sure why but one came with Gold weapons and one came with Chrome. The only difference I've noticed on the Lions is the "1" sticker on the back of the black lion. The gold weapon set has a smaller "1" then the chrome weapon set. I only have the box and most of weapons for the gold set.

The 97 Trendmaster sets have several differences then the original 80's Matchbox Voltron. Most noticeable is the wings on the red $ green lions, Voltron's face is black, and the colors are more of a pastel color on the arms and legs. Oh and there is print on the bottoms of the lions Jaws instead of the foil stickers that the 80's versions had.

That is my custom sticker for the Evil Voltron (episode 44). I couldn't resist making it up for fun.

Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
Panosh Place "Castle of Lions"

TV Commercial:

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/2109/

The Castle of Lions was a playset released by Panosh Place.

FAQ

• AUTHENTIC: YES
  • PLASTIC: YES

Castle of Lions Playset:

Photo is Courtesy of King Alfor (of Voltron.Com forum)Personal Collection.
*CHOSEN BECAUSE PIDGE LOOKS AWESOME AND IT MUST HAVE BEEN A PAIN TO GET HIM PERFECTED*

Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
Fake Chinese Yellow Lion Variant

Voltron toys were primarily made in Taiwan and Japan, but this Yellow Lion was made in China.

Specs

• Side of head has unusual stickers
  • Sticker displays a "swirl" where it should be a "round plastic piece."

Picture of Fake Yellow Lion

Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
Obvious Voltron Bootleg Variants

Notes

These Voltron Bootlegs are more obvious than others. As previously mentioned in other posts, you can "somewhat" determine authenticity of a Voltron figure by colors. This variant is an extreme case.

Obvious Voltron Bootleg Variant Pictures (Courtesy of CollectionDX.Com):

Picture of Muratus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rezo:
Fake Chinese Yellow Lion Variant

Voltron toys were primarily made in Taiwan and Japan, but this Yellow Lion was made in China.

Specs

• Side of head has unusual stickers
  • Sticker displays a "swirl" where it should be a "round plastic piece."

The side stickers is actually correct for the Taiwan version of the Matchbox Voltron III's. The give away that it's a Loinbot is the firing button on his back.

There is a few versions of just the Taiwan Matchbox Voltron III. They all have Print on the bottom of the lions Jaws with the copyright info. The different version are identified by the print on the foil stickers "Golion", "Golion B", "Golion D", and reported to be a "Golion C" that is printed on the foil stickers. The "Golion D" is the lead recall one.

Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
Korean Voltron Bootleg Variant

Features:

• Red Lion is COMPLETELY Red
  • Green Lion is COMPLETELY Green
  • Red Lion has a STICKER for a BELT
  • Blue Lion's head has YELLOW where it should be SILVER
  • Yellow Lion's head has BLUE sides

Pictures (Courtesy of RobotJapan.ProBoards.Com):

Picture of Rezo
posted Hide Post
Blisterpack Knockoff

There must have been a red paint shortage after these were made....

Features:

• Green Lion has a RED head
  • Black Lion has a Yellow and Red mouth
  • The bottom half of all Lions mouths are RED
  • Red and Green Lions have RED Tails
  • Middle of Red Lion is BLUE instead of GREY/SILVER
  • I'm sure there's more..

Blisterpack Knockoff in Box (Courtesy of RobotJapan.ProBoards.Com):